Droll Yankees Seed Saver Domed Bird Feeder
• Capacity: 0.75 pounds
• Dimensions: 7" diameter
• Small covered dish feeder
• Use seed, mealworms, suet or fruit
• Hang it using the brass rod or mount it on a pole
• Adjustable dome will keep out larger birds and the weather
I really love this bird feeder! I had one of them for 15 years, but it finally broke and I was so worried they would not still have it in stock. I purchased two this time and hang them side by side. It definitely is not squirrel proof as they climb up the shepherd's hook I have them hanging from and then hang on for dear life to the dome and either eat upside down or swing into the bowl and settle there. It amuses my cat to no end (and me, too). The birds love it just as much. My papa cardinals feed their little babies by flying back and forth from the feeder to the hedge until the babies are old enough to "settle" into the base and eat on their own. The blue jays also like it, even though they are bigger and have to be careful when they fly in. I noticed it now comes in a light blue color, too, but I like the clear ones the best. Thanks for a great feeder at a reasonable price!
We had one of these before and after trying several other kinds ordered this one again because it holds enough seed and doesn't allow the bigger birds access. Also it protects the seed from rain. We recommend it highly.
The cardinals in our backyard love this feeder, and we do too. You can adjust the upper shield to shut out larger birds (e.g., starlings) so the smaller birds can feed. It's easy to clean and squirrels have stayed out (but if you have a problem, a little Vaseline on the dome will keep squirrels from getting a foothold).
The song birds seem to enjoy the feeder. I did a double take to see squirrel go up the shepherds hook and then down and get into the narrow space of feed tray under the dome. Have adjusted that spacing.
Needs to be able to move the top higher when refilling with seeds.
This feeder works well in the winter to keep snow off the seeds. I adjusted the height so only small birds like finches and wrens can use it. I plan to use it as a bluebird feeder in the spring and put meal worms in the tray. One caution is to be sure the metal rod in the center is tightly screwed after any cleaning and filling. It can be completely taken apart for cleaning.
Write your own review and share your thoughts with other customers.
In 1969, Peter Kilham developed the A-6F tubular bird feeder, leading to a new and exciting approach in bird feeding. As an artist, engineer and inventor, he cared about using quality materials and innovative design to create a feeder that birds loved and people found easy to use. Still a best seller, the functional simplicity of the A-6 preserves its place as the standard in the industry.
At Droll Yankees, we continue to strive to maintain the high standards of design and functionality set by Peter Kilham. We're proud of our feeders and the legacy of being recognized as makers of the world's best bird feeders.
Why buy from Backyard Chirper?
- Extraordinary Customer Service - We don't just sell bird feeders, we eat, sleep and breathe birding. Call us and a real person will answer the phone.
- Easy Returns for 30 Days - If your birds aren't delighted with your feeder, then neither are we. At Backyard Chirper, we offer a 30-day no-questions-asked money back guarantee.
- Small Business Values - There are plenty of nameless, faceless corporations out there. We're not one of them.
- Over 7,000 Birding Supplies in Stock - We carry a huge selection of birding gear from the world's best brands.
- BBB "A+" Rating - We've been a Better Business Bureau Accredited Business since 2005 with a lifetime "A+" rating.
We’re a company built on bird lovers. When he’s not updating the blog, our director of community is out birdwatching in the mountains of Southern California. Just the slightest glimpse of a bird at one of my feeders fills me with joy. To us, birds are more than a means to sell products; birds are a way to connect with nature. Warren Sager, Owner of Backyard Chirper